‘WIDNES VIKINGS ON THIS DAY’ STAR SIGNING EVENT
This Thursday, 12th November sees the special star-studded launch of Widnes Vikings On This Day – the must-have history and trivia book that all Widnes fans will be wanting for Christmas this year!
Festivities start early for the Vikings faithful, as star performers Joe Mellor and Alex Gerrard will be joining author Mike Healing – the club’s official statistician – at the Vikings Superstore.
They’ll all be signing books and chatting to fans between 5 and 7 o’clock, so now’s a great time to start your Christmas shopping! The Vikings Superstore is located within the Tesco Extra store in Widnes.
Widnes Vikings On This Day looks back at the most celebrated and memorable moments from the club's illustrious history, providing a mixture of quirky anecdotes and legendary characters.
The book is an irresistibly dippable black-and-white diary – with an entry for every day of the year.
- Revisit 30th August 1987, when Widnes fans got their first sight of Martin Offiah as the rugby union convert and future try-scoring record holder made an excellent debut against Halifax.
- 6th September 1965: Reputations were swept by the board as Widnes defied the odds and crushed the challenge of world champions New Zealand.
- 8th September 1906: The first match under the revised laws of 13-a-side rugby league. ‘Fast but not very attractive and certainly very dangerous,’ according to the Weekly News!
- 6th March 1973: Widnes-born Doug Laughton joined the Chemics from Wigan following a chance visit to fellow legend Vin Karalius’s scrap yard.
- 14th May 1989: Widnes became the only team to win the championship and Premiership double in successive seasons when Hull were overcome 18-10.
- 13th December 1952: Rochdale 2-2 Widnes. Robbed by the referee’s bizarre decision to disallow a Jack Woodward penalty, claiming that it had gone under the bar, despite the touch-judge signalling a goal and the scoreboard operator immediately adding the points!
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Widnes Vikings On This Day: History, Facts & Figures from Every Day of the Year