MELCHESTER FANS! A MESSAGE FROM ROY RACE...
Dear Melchester Rovers fans,
It’s me, Roy Race... Roy of the Rovers. I felt I should let you know about a new book that’s due out on October 3rd. It’s called Real Roy of the Rovers Stuff and it’s written by my good friend Barrie Tomlinson, who was my editor and group editor during most of my time in Tiger comic and in my own comic, Roy of the Rovers.
Barrie is in an excellent position to tell the story of how he turned me into a superstar. He reveals how I got shot, got married, became a father and how I created newspaper headlines and lots of news items on TV and radio.
In the book, you can find out how the great Sir Alf Ramsey took over as manager of Melchester Rovers and how Geoffrey Boycott became chairman of the club. How a member of the Royal Family wrote for my comic and you can even discover who thought of the name ‘Roy of the Rovers’.
As well as all that, you will find lots of photographs as I mix with the stars of the day, on and off the football pitch.
I may be biased, but I think the book is a good read. Just the sort of present Dad would like for Christmas!
In Real Roy of the Rovers Stuff! you will discover:
- Who thought up the name ‘Roy of the Rovers’.
- Why Sir Alf didn’t choose Roy for the 1966 World Cup Squad.
- What happened when Roy was manager of England.
- What Parliament didn’t like about Roy’s strip.
- What happened to the person who shot Roy.
- Rovers’ record-winning score, with Alf Ramsey as manager.
- Why MPs Neil Kinnock, David Owen and David Steel wrote to Tiger.
- The great trio: Morecambe and Wise and Roy.
- The real-life manager who tried to sign Roy of the Rovers.
- The special set of Euro 96 stamps which featured Roy.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from
Real Roy of the Rovers Stuff