GLOWING PRAISE FOR HENDERSON BOOK
National Hunt Champion trainer Nicky Henderson OBE shares behind-the-scenes stories of the dozen most extraordinary thoroughbreds that have defined his glittering career.
After his early days as an amateur jockey and assistant to Fred Winter, Nicky started his own training yard, which would become the home of such great riders as Sir AP McCoy, Barry Geraghty, John Francome, Mick Fitzgerald, Sam Waley-Cohen, Richard Dunwoody, Nico de Boinville and many others.
From his triple Champion Hurdle-winner See You Then, Remittance Man and Nobby the sheep, record-setting Altior, Sprinter Sacre and the greatest comeback in jump racing history, to his new star Constitution Hill, the Henderson yard has been a breeding ground for success.
Through exclusive interviews with Nicky and his jockeys, Nicky Henderson: My Life in 12 Horses schools us on life, sport, magic, courage, loss, hope and love. Beautifully written, this book is a revealing and intimate account of a master racehorse trainer’s work.
- Takes the reader inside the special world of Henderson’s training yard and chronicles his 45-year love affair with jump racing
- Offers stunning insights into the delicate art of training such illustrious Cheltenham Festival winners as See You Then, Long Run, Sprinter Sacre, Altior and Constitution Hill
- Provides countless candid interviews with great jockeys such as A.P. McCoy, Barry Geraghty and Mick Fitzgerald as well as owners and breeders who have worked with Henderson for nearly 50 years
- Describes in unprecedented detail the relationships that develop between top horses and their human carers in an elite racing yard driven to win the game’s most prestigious races
- Allows readers to understand the genius of Henderson, his intuitive skill at training fragile equine superstars to a peak for the big occasion
- Mixes triumph and tragedy and captures the extraordinary camaraderie of the Seven Barrows yard
- Breaks new ground by inviting readers into the very heart of racing with moving individual essays on Henderson’s finest horses
Reviews and praise for Nicky Henderson: My Life in 12 Horses
"In my lifetime two British trainers have been blessed with a touch of genius: Sir Henry Cecil and Nicky Henderson. This book – via tales about his brilliant horses – takes you on a roller-coaster ride with Nicky’s triumphs and tragedies, heady racedays and disasters, plus gives you a unique insight in to the mind of that training genius."
Ed Chamberlin, ITV Racing
"A beautiful portrait of the love between Nicky Henderson and his greatest horses. Intimate, revealing and unforgettable, with a long reach in racing but also far beyond."
Paul Hayward, five times Sports Writer of the Year
"Nicky Henderson’s career is a timeless masterpiece, with craft and thought put into every horse. The attention to detail in this beautiful book is similarly meticulous. A must read."
Dominic King, Racing Correspondent, The Daily Mail
"A brilliant and original portrait of a man with an exceptional gift. Where others see horses, Nicky Henderson sees magic, sophistication and complex personalities – he’s like the Shakespeare of racing."
Ed Needham, Strong Words magazine
"This is a book every racing fan should read. For it takes a fresh look at famous horses and jumping’s most famous trainer. In the very best of senses, it puts new wine in old bottles."
Brough Scott MBE, racing journalist, broadcaster and author and former jockey
"A brilliant insight into the life, knowledge, passion and intuition that Nicky has, and gives his horses on a daily basis. All of which makes him one of the greatest trainers and horsemen of any generation, and above all an absolute gentleman."
Barry Geraghty, first stable jockey to Nicky Henderson from 2008-2015
"A full, personable and bewitching account of the genius that is the six-time champion jumps trainer – while this is a must-read for racing fans, I’d recommend it to anyone who has ever loved an animal."
Martha Terry, Horse & Hound
Click here for more information