RACING AROUND THE WORLD
In a unique series of evocative, informative pieces, award-winning racing expert Nicholas Godfrey chronicles visits to 20 different countries across six continents.
Postcards from the World of Horse Racing takes in unforgettable, high-profile events at major racecourses (such as the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs or the Dubai World Cup at billion-dollar Meydan) and venues on the road less travelled (in Morocco, Uruguay and Switzerland, where they race on a frozen lake in St Moritz).
Among the equine greats encountered along the way are America’s mighty mare Zenyatta, Triple Crown hero American Pharoah and Black Caviar, the ‘Wonder from Down Under’. Each ‘postcard’ includes a ‘how to’ guide for anyone wishing to follow in the author’s footsteps – Nicholas’s own journey culminating at the inaugural running of the world’s richest race, the $12m Pegasus World Cup, staged in Florida in January 2017.
Soak up the exotic atmosphere of global horse racing from Belgium to Buenos Aires, from Mauritius to Morocco...
- Relive the most dramatic victory in the history of the Breeders' Cup World Championships in America as the nation's favourite horse silences the doubters
- Get the inside track on racing in Malaysia, where illegal betting is crippling the sport – and
- Enjoy the celebrated Belgian steeplechase with a watery ending as tradition requires winning jockey and trainer to jump in the brook in front of the stands
- Join the author as he risks $2,000 against American professional punters in a high-stakes betting competition in Minnesota
- Learn about skijoring, the bizarre discipline in which 'jockeys' on skis are dragged along by horses on the St Moritz snow
- Experience the fervour of horse-mad locals in Uruguay, where big-race winners are greeted like it's the Cheltenham Festival
- Go racing at the foremost racecourse in Paris for their Bastille Day celebrations, which have everything except a crowd
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Postcards from the World of Horse Racing.