THE F1 CHAMPION THAT NEVER WAS
Pironi: The Champion that Never Was relates the remarkable story of motor racing’s forgotten man, ex-Ferrari F1 driver and offshore powerboat racer, Didier Pironi. The book charts an incredible journey which took the young Parisian to the heights of triumph and the depths of despair.
Before he joined the legendary Ferrari stable, Pironi was already a Formula Renault, Le Mans and grand prix winner. By 1982, the time had surely come for the enigmatic Frenchman to become his country’s first Formula 1 world champion. He was to come tantalisingly close to achieving that lifetime ambition, ahead in the world championship and in pole position for the German Grand Prix – before crashing so disastrously in practice, in atrocious weather conditions.
Over the next five years he fought a long and painful battle to return to the cockpit to reclaim the title that had eluded him that grim morning. It was not to be. Thereafter Didier turned his attention to offshore powerboating where his remarkable life would come to a shattering end in the icy waters of the English Channel.
Read Pironi: The Champion That Never Was and you will discover:
- Why young Didier was expelled from some of Paris’s most exclusive schools
- How the teenage Didier came close to being shot and killed by the Paris police
- How a strange premonition 10 years earlier correctly forecasted Didier’s career-ending Hockenheim crash
- The real story behind the infamous 1982 San Marino Grand Prix and the fallout that followed
- What happened when Didier met Veronique Jannot, one of France’s most famous actresses
- How Didier was prevented from making a sensational return to Formula 1 due to the objections of a Grand Prix legend
- Why the Colibri powerboat crew were so nervous of taking part in the ill-fated 1987 Needles race
- The reasons why some members of the French media refer to Didier’s story as ‘The Pironi Curse’
Click here for more information on Pironi.