ALAN BUTCHER AMONG TOP AUTHORS AT OVAL EVENT
Get your free tickets here! The Good Murungu author Alan Butcher will be appearing at Surrey CCC’s first ‘Bill’s Book Club’ event, chatting about his great new book on his cricketing experience in Zimbabwe
Alan will be appearing and signing books alongside Lawrence Booth (Wisden editor) and Emma John (Following On) at the Kia Oval, 24th April 2016 (after play vs. Somerset).
Click here for full details and free tickets.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from The Good Murungu.
When Alan Butcher accepted the post of Zimbabwe Head Coach he knew he’d have his work cut out competing against the top cricket nations. He didn’t anticipate that some of his toughest opponents would be within the Zimbabwe set-up itself…
- By turns intriguing, exasperating and inspirational, The Good Murungu is the inside story on the strange world of Zimbabwe cricket.
- The book is a first-hand account of the politics and prejudices that make coaching and playing for Zimbabwe so very difficult.
- Follow the new national coach on his travels and get a feel for the great natural beauty and charm of this much maligned country.
- Get behind Butcher’s attempts to improve the skill sets and psychology of the Zimbabwe squad.
- Discover how his desire for improvement sparked conflict with his bosses and selectors, and led to this ‘murungu’ coach being accused of racially motivated selection in a national newspaper.
- Feel the pain when a positive, human approach comes up against entrenched attitudes on all sides – and when Alan nearly wipes out half of his family in two terrifying car crashes.
- Finally, enjoy Alan’s successes in winning, against the odds, Zimbabwe’s first Test match in six years followed by an ODI series win and victory over South Africa in a tri nations tournament.
- And understand how, despite many frustrations, the author left the country with a deep fondness for Zimbabwe and its people.