‘DANGEROUS’ – IAN ‘ROPE BURNS’ PROBERT IS BACK
Monday 26th September sees an Islington launch event for Ian Probert’s new book, Dangerous, and a new edition of his boxing classic, Rope Burns. Come and help Ian celebrate at Waterstones, Islington Green, 7pm. Admission is free. For more info see IanProbert.com.
A quarter of a century ago journalist and author Ian Probert decided never to write about boxing again. His decision was prompted by the injuries sustained by boxer Michael Watson during his world title fight with Chris Eubank. Now, in common with so many fighters, Probert is making an inevitable comeback. Dangerous sees Probert return to the scene of an obsession that has gripped him from childhood.
From an illuminating and honest encounter with transgender fight manager Kellie Maloney to an emotional reunion with Watson himself, Probert discovers just how much the sport has changed during his absence. The end result is one of the most fascinating and unusual books ever to have been written about boxing.
Dangerous is no ordinary book on boxing, it is an emotional journey:
- During the writing of the book Probert’s daughter almost dies. In a bizarre coincidence ex-boxer Herol Graham is in the very next hospital ward, also on the brink of death. Probert finds himself caring for both.
- In a deeply emotional meeting with boxer Mark King, Probert discusses the loss of King’s son, who was fatally stabbed in the school playground.
- Probert swaps experiences of depression, alcohol and drug abuse with ex-boxer Glenn McCrory.
- Probert discusses his shared experience of being the victim of child abuse with ex-boxer Herol Graham.
- Probert talks to father and son boxers Alan Minter and Ross Minter, discovering how Ross rescued his famous father back from the brink.
- After initially failing to recognise Probert during a comical first encounter, injured ex-boxer Michael Watson rekindles his once close friendship with the writer.
- Because of the unlikely therapy provided by meeting boxing figures from the past Probert has an emotional meeting with his mother and reveals his childhood abuse to her.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Dangerous.
The critically acclaimed Rope Burns is the true story of what can happen when an obsession takes over your life, sucks you in and spits you back out again.
‘The Fever Pitch of Boxing’ – Daily Telegraph
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Rope Burns.