FROM OSTOMY TO IRONMAN
Loo Rolls to Lycra: The Ironman Dreams of an IBD Sufferer is the inspirational and insightful autobiography of Caroline Bramwell, a wife and mother who believed her life was going down the toilet when she was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, an Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
With an encyclopaedic knowledge of every public toilet, bush or tree to dive behind, and after numerous extreme dietary regimes, Caroline elected to have her large intestines removed, to live with a permanent ileostomy. A self-confessed couch potato, Caroline turned to sport after surgery, dispelling the medical profession’s ‘you can’t do that’ attitude by announcing her London-to-Paris 24-hour cycle ride.
Motivated to learn to swim by her children, her enthusiasm for triathlon was lit after meeting Ironman World Champion, Chrissie Wellington. Caroline has competed at all triathlon distances, including the full Ironman UK, and has become one of the UK’s leading ostomy triathletes. Loo Rolls to Lycra is the epitome of the self-belief that anything is possible.
Read Loo Rolls to Lycra and you will discover:
- How understanding your own body and pushing the boundaries of what it can do can reap results you only ever dreamt of
- Why a woman recovering from major surgery wants to change the perception of living life with a stoma, and break the taboo of talking about bowel conditions
- What happened when Caroline's drug-befuddled head couldn't even cope with doing the weekly supermarket shopping
- What happened when a race Marshall tried to curtail Caroline's ambition of completing Ironman Staffordshire 70.3, on her Ironman journey
- How, even when you think you've got everything under control, the unexpected can happen to derail your day
- How having a permanent ileostomy was the beginning of a whole new approach to living life to the max
- That being a wife and mum, as well as a triathlete, is the biggest juggling act of all, and that sacrifices need to be made
- How Caroline had to deal with the remarks and glares from those who couldn't see a woman suffering from a hidden illness
Click here for more information on Loo Rolls to Lycra.