BUDGE'S BEDFORD BOOK EVENTS
Last weekend, Bedford Blues and England rugby legend Budge Rogers was back at his home club on a double mission. He appeared as guest speaker at the Bedford Former Players' Lunch, and signed copies of his new book for over 200 fans. If you missed out on this event, watch out for further Bedford signings in the near future!
Budge is donating his share of the book proceeds to the RFU Injured Players' Foundation based at Twickenham and, together with book collaborator Phil Stephens, hopes to raise a four-figure sum for the charity.
"Thanks go out to Bedford Rugby Club for allowing us to sell books at the lunch for former players and supporters," Budge said after the event. "I said a few words of thanks to all those who had helped in the production of the book, especially Phil Stevens, and talked about the RFU Injured Players' Foundation, of which Prince Harry is Patron. Every year, the charity gives over £1 million to injured players.
"It was a very successful day with Bedford winning really well against London Scottish, and a wonderful number of books sold."
Budge Rogers: A Rugby Life is the long overdue biography of one of rugby’s most iconic players, Derek Prior ‘Budge’ Rogers. The world-class flanker lit up rugby grounds around the world in the 1960s and 1970s with his dazzling and determined wing play.
He captained Bedford RFC for many years, including the year they won the National Cup, toured overseas with England, the British Lions and the Barbarians. The book is full of interesting stories and amusing anecdotes from the world of top class rugby. Rogers is a true rugby great. In 1969 the Bedford man was the first rugby player to be awarded an OBE. His outstanding playing career was followed by years in administration at the highest level as both Chairman of England Selectors and President of the RFU.
Accompany Budge through his 40 years at the top of world rugby, firstly as England captain, and later Chairman of Selectors and President of the RFU.
- The book is the authorised biography of the man who broke the record for England appearances and became the first rugby player to be awarded the OBE
- Enjoy the excitement of life on tour in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the Far East
- Budge played with and against some of the most famous names in rugby; Richard Sharp, Dickie Jeeps, and Barry John to name just a few. Read about Rogers’s favourite players and his most feared opponents
- Budge won every honour in the game and witnessed the traumatic transition of rugby from a purely amateur to a modern professional sport
- Drawing on his long years of experience, Rogers offers his views on modern rugby at club and international level
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Budge Rogers.