SAT 15 - WALTERS WINGIN' IT IN BRUM
Aston Villa's one-time wing wonder Mark Walters will be signing books and chatting to fans at two Birmingham events on Saturday.
First, Mark will be reliving his Villa Park days at the WHSmith branch at The Fort, before moving on to the main city centre shop later in the morning.
Saturday 15 December
10am - WHSmith, The Fort
11.30am - WHSmith, Birmingham
Wingin’ It is the ultimate story of hope over hate, the insightful autobiography of a footballer who beat the bigots. Due to the colour of his skin, Mark Walters always felt he needed to be twice as good as other players in order to succeed. But Mark drew inspiration from the way the late Cyrille Regis handled his racist detractors, and went on to fulfil his potential by flaunting his dazzling ball skills for England.
One of a dying breed of traditional wingers, Mark Walters’ story starts on the streets and ends after 23 years in the professional game. In between, though, Mark:
- Describes how he beat the racists to carve out a career at the top table of football
- Tells of the anguish of learning how his father was living a double life
- Recalls the moment, as a kid, when he was denied the opportunity to meet his hero, Johann Cruyff by someone who should have known better
- Talks of the disgust he felt when he discovered a ruthless paedophile was running his youth team
- Describes the moment he finally got to play alongside his footballing hero at Rangers
- Tells of how his Liverpool dream turned into a nightmare
Click here for more information or to read a sample from Wingin' It