BLIND DAVE HEELEY – BRUM LAUNCH & EVENTS
From Light to Dark is the inspirational story of runner, cyclist and motivational speaker Blind Dave Heeley, written in collaboration with Sophie Parkes-Nield.
Come and help Dave & Sophie celebrate the launch on Thursday 18 February at Waterstones, Birmingham High Street. They’ll be chatting about every aspect of the book and signing copies from 6.30pm. Tickets are £3.
With a foreword by the veteran and record-breaking English adventurer Sir Ranulph Fiennes, From Light to Dark is a heart-warming, inspirational tale of triumph over adversity.
- How does an active, adventurous personality deal with a life-changing diagnosis of blindness? From Light To Dark tells of one man's determination to live life to the full, regardless – but drinking, depression and marriage breakdowns inevitably take their toll.
- Can anyone ever accept blindness? Dave candidly explains how it feels to cope with the onset of blindness, and how family life, employment, interests, skills and hobbies are all affected.
- But this is no 'misery memoir'. Dave's infectious sense of humour laughs from every page, detailing every funny scrape – both literal and metaphorical. From the time he was lost in Blackpool dressed in drag, to the occasion he encountered a foreman's office with a forklift truck.
- A combination of increasing blindness and business success meant that Dave left his sporting prowess behind. He took up running and cycling again, much later in life. The book documents this passage from beginner to amateur endurance athlete.
- Dave's fundraising endurance challenges have caught the attention of the press the world over. This autobiography takes readers through every pain barrier, every moment of mental anguish as he and his teams complete some of the planet's toughest feats.
- It's no surprise that Dave makes his living from speaking about his experiences. From Light To Dark is as honest, funny and touching as his speeches.
Click here for more information, or to read a sample from Blind Dave Heeley’s From Light to Dark.
Those other West Midlands events in full:
Monday 22 February 2016, 10.30am – Wednesbury Library.
Tuesday 23 February 2016, 2.30pm – Tipton Library.
Wednesday 24 February 2016, 2pm – Thimblemill Library.
Thursday 25 February 2016, 7.30am – Birmingham City FC Breakfast.
Thursday 25 February 2016, 12pm – Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.
Friday 26 February 2016, 10.30am – Central Library.
Tuesday 1 March 2016 – Smethwick Archives.
Thursday 3 March 2016, 10.30am – The Black Country Bugle.